A construction firm asked me to test their backup system because they were unable to restore critical files after a Cryptowall breakout and their IT provider had stopped returning their call.
Here’s what I found:
- The firm had been paying for backups for the past five years.
- The backup software was five years old.
- The backup system was backing up data that was IMPORTANT FIVE YEARS AGO because the backup settings were also five years old.
- Nothing that the employees had added in the past five years – no folders, no projects – had ever been backed up.
If this company had gone down for any reason, they were headed towards being a statistic. According to the US Bureau of Labor, 93 percent of companies that suffer a significant data loss are out of business within five years.
The worst part of this whole story? They thought that they were covered. They had taken the step to install a backup system, so they had a false sense of security; but their IT provider wasn’t proactively updating it, let alone checking it to make sure it would work in the case of a disaster.
Many of you may find yourselves in the same situation, and it’s time to make a change. When looking for a high-quality back-up system, this is what you need:
- A comprehensive system that backs up ALL servers
- Backups tested weekly to ensure the backup will be effective and all the correct data is backed up
- Monthly Backup Plan Reviews. Sometimes needs change from the time a system is installed to the time you land that next big project or client. Reviewing the plan ensures you continue to be protected.
- Quarterly Recovery Tests. Backup is one thing. Being able to quickly recover and get back to work is the true value in having a backup system. Make sure that you’re not only backed up but you will be able to recover.
- Every 6 months, conduct a FULL DISASTER RECOVERY TEST
Call me at 917-685-7731 with any questions regarding a system for your business.