December is known around the world as a family me of celebration honoring cultures, religions and traditions that have been with humanity for hundreds of years. See below for a mix of the weird and wonderful facts about this magical month!
- An almanac prediction states that if snow falls on Christmas Day, Easter will be warm, green and sunny.
- The name December comes from the La n decem for “ten,” as it was the 10th month in the Roman calendar.
- December 12th is Poinsettia Day.
- Saint Nicholas, who would eventually be called Santa Claus, was originally the patron saint of children, thieves and pawnbrokers!
- December 28th is considered by some to be the unluckiest day of the year.
- The first artificial Christmas tree was made in Germany, fashioned out of goose feathers that were dyed green!